The final report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health, entitled ‘Closing the gap in a generation: Health equity through action on social determinants of health’, was published on 28th August 2008. It calls on the WHO and all governments to lead global action on the social determinants of health with the aim of achieving health equity. The Commission recommends a three-pronged approach – improving daily living conditions; tackling the inequitable distribution of power, money and resources; and measuring and understanding the problem and assessing the impact of action.
The report asserts that ‘social justice is killing people on a grand scale’ and that a broad-ranging, long-term agenda is needed. Attention needs to be focused on the empowerment of communities that do not currently have their fair share, and political will is needed to implement the recommendations made.
In response to the report, Business in the Community is undertaking a three year programme of activity in conjunction with the UK’s Department of Health. Business in the Community, the CSR360 Global Partner Network and Citigroup are hosting a special meeting of CSR360 Partners on 22nd September 2008 and the UK’s Department of Health will be hosting an international conference to discuss the report on 6th and 7th November 2008.
To read more about this Programme please click here.
The report is available to download or order from WHO’s website.
- Centre for Responsible Business, Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
- Forum Empresa,
- Responsible Business Forum in Estonia,
- CCCD – Centrum fuer Corporate Citizenship Deutschland,
- Community Business,
- S2M Foundation,
- Fuping Development Institute,
- East Europe Foundation,
- Fundacion Compromiso,
- Pontis Foundation,
- Business Leaders Forum Serbia (Smartkolektiv),
- The Management Center at The American University in Cairo,
- Population and Community Development Association (PDA),
- Business and Community Foundation,